It’s been exciting to see children’s ministries all over the place helping children see and respond to global social issues. The challenge, though, for children’s ministry leaders and parents is finding resources to help children grab onto and understand issues like building wells for clean water. It’s such a foreign concept for children who grow up not having to worry about whether or not the water they are about to drink will make them sick or not.
Here is a great picture book written by Ariah Fine entitled Clean Water for Elirose that speaks on a level that kids can understand what it might mean to not have access to clean drinking water. Not only does Ariah help kids contextualize the issue of clean water but it also gives kids and families action steps they can take to make a difference in the world when it comes to building wells in underprivileged areas of the world.
I encourage you to take a look at the electronic version of the book by clicking here. Not only that… I encourage you to buy copies of books for the kids in your ministries. All the profits from the book go to Charity:Water. Ariah has partnered with them this year to raise $5000, which will build one well! You might even consider buying the books, selling them for a nominal profit to the families at your church and donating those to a well building project of your own!
Ariah is also giving a book away a day between December 1 and 15. Here are some ways you can enter:
- Like the Clean Water for Elirose Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/CleanWaterForElirose
- Refer someone to “Like” The facebook page (proven by them posting your name on our wall as the person who referred them)
- Follow @WaterForElirose on Twitter
- Tweet or post on Facebook about Clean Water for Elirose linking back to the website, facebook or twitter page
- Blog about Clean Water for Elirose on your blog (counts as two entries) – And you might want to post it on our Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org just so we don’t miss it.