If you’re not having fun blogging, why are you doing it?
Goal is to go from complicated to simplified when it comes to blogging
Blogging is a process. You learn as you go.
Guaranteed… you will make mistakes.
Blogging is a maraton, not a sprint. It changes culture and you may never be known for it.
Success doesn’t look the same for everyone. It depends on your context/audience.
Your challenge isn’t a technical one… It’s more personal and spiritual
- coming to the precon
- you have something to share, you need a new way to share stuff, you are looking for more of a community feel
3 critical questions to ask
starting a blog
who do you want to reach?
- the more targeted and specific your audience, the more effective
- picture of shotgun vs sniper rifle
what do you want to specifically say (content-wise)?
- informative vs conversation
- bullhorn vs feedback
- excitement vs exploratory
do i need a blog to achieve my goals?
- blogging isn’t a cure-all
- some aren’t ready for it… that’s ok
practical things to start a blog
- just go… don’t worry about form… figure that out as you go
find an application to use
- there are a lot of them out there
- john is a wordpress fanatic
- schedule a launch date
- set a schedule for writing (weekly time commitment)
- schedule a number of posts
don’t be dogmatic about it
be realistic… one per week…
- schedule time to talk with others
be wise about who you are talking about and what you talk about
- schedule time for review
you need to hit the “PUBLISH” button
- twitter, fb, word of mouth, email, etc. it’s ok to self promote 🙂