I was reading my friend’s blog, and he had a post about a setting Microsoft put on Word 2008 that adds a space of 10 pts after each paragraph by default. Personally, I agree that this is a stupid default setting… unless someone can tell me the thinking behind it so I understand why. Well, my friend was asking for help, so I Googled “get rid of space in Word Mac 2008” and one of the sites gave a solution (and it worked for me). I thought I’d share it here for anyone who might be miffed by the default setting and wants to fix it. These instructions are for Mac. I don’t know if they did the same thing to the PC version. If so, the solution probably is similar.
Here are the steps to change that setting:
- Open Word.
- Go to Format » Styles…
- Highlight Normal in the Styles selection window, then press Modify.
- In the new window that opens, check the Add to Template box (lower left).
- Now choose Paragraph from the pop-up menu in the lower left corner of that same window.
- In the new window, change the After setting to 0.
- Click OK twice to close windows, then press Apply in the main Style window.
- Quit Word and re-open.